A couple years ago I went to Time Out For Women with some great friends. During this conference there are many uplifting speaker and musical numbers that truly touched my heart. However, there was one musical number that was shared "For Good" from the Broadway Musical "Wicked." And this woman was on Broadway many years ago as a young married couple. She shared a very sweet and touching story of adoption, since they weren't able to conceive alone. They received this sweet baby, and on the last day the birth mother had a chance to change her mind and take the baby girl back, and that is exactly what happened. They were devastated to say the least. She then shared how much this song meant to her and her husband as they lost their sweet baby girl, back to her birth mother.
And now that I have heard this point of view on the song, I now have a new point of view...
My Dad is someone that has made me a better person just by knowing him. The words from this song touch me so deeply every time I hear this song and the lyrics.
He has truly left his hand print on my heart...
[GLINDA:]
I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn.
And we are lead to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them.
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you.
As it passes a sun,
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you.
I have been changed for good.
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime.
So, let me say before we part:
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you'll have rewritten mine
By being my friend.
By a wind off the sea.
Like a seed dropped by a sky bird
In a distant wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you...
Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good.
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done,
You blamed me for.
But then,
I guess,
We know there's blame to share.
And none of it seems to matter anymore.
Like a comet pulled from orbit
(Like a ship blown from its mooring)
As it passes a sun.
(By a wind off the sea)
Like a stream that meets a boulder
(Like a seed dropped by bird)
Halfway through the wood.
(In the wood)
Who can say if I've been changed for the better.
I do believe I have been changed for the better.
And because I knew you...
Because I knew you...
Because I knew you
I have been changed...
For good.


2 comments:
You did it! You wrote! Good job. Such a sweet post.
-Steph
oh....we all have him on our hearts. Thank you sweetie! tears. love.
Post a Comment