Well,
I knew the day was coming... the anniversary of my Dad passing.
I knew it was going to be a hard day.
I knew I needed to do something special for my mom as
I knew it was going to be a hard day for her.
So I called my husband one day while he was at work and I told him I had a crazy idea.
He knew exactly what I was talking about before I ever told him.
He knew I needed to be with my mom on this day.
He knew it was important to me.
The kids had a long weekend. So we took off. Matt stayed back to work, and I drove to California (for the first time from New Mexico) with my 3 kids, at the time, and largely pregnant with Matilda who was born about 4 weeks later.
I called my Grandma and Grandpa Holmes to ask if we could come stay with them and surprise my mom. They were kind enough to let us stay for 2 nights.
The morning after we arrived I called my mom to ask her about her day and just get a feel for when would be a good time to come and surprise her at her office. So we did it!! I went and picked up lunch and the surprise was a success.
We had a great visit! We went and visited my dads grave site and took flowers. The kids each put a flower on his grave and we took pictures. My Grandparents joined us with afterwards we went to have some sushi in honor of him and his favorite food.
I feel so blessed that we were able to make this trip for many reasons. But one that is so close to my heart. Since we were able to stay with my Grandma & Grandpa Holmes I was able to sit and visit with them like I never have before. I don't remember ever staying the night at their house as a kid. But this trip I did! And I got to sit and chat with my Grandma and learn so much more about her and her life. As well as with my Grandpa Holmes. And my children were able to spend some quality time with their great-grandparents. But in May, a few short months after this trip, my Grandma passed away to some health complications in her sleep. I feel like it was such a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father that led me to call them to ask if I could come stay with them. I would otherwise, not have had that opportunity to sit and have some one-on-one time with my sweet grandma Hazel Holmes.
For this I am grateful!

No comments:
Post a Comment