4.13.2009

Allergies... UUUGGGHHH!

So let me start with the idea I had in my head before we got to Jackson's Allergy appointment today. We for the last 5 months have been giving Jackson some egg in baked goods. So I had high hopes that he had grown out of the egg allergy. But I never gave him straight egg, so I really didn't know. But we never did attempt the peanut. I have heard too many scary stories of kids with peanut allergies, and the allergist told me that he has heard stories of kids dying from peanuts. So today was the day... and these are the results...
{a little disappointing}
Peanut

This has gotten worse since last year. MUCH worse.

Eggs
about the same as last year, and the Doc said to keep giving him baked or cooked things with egg, just keep Benadril near.
Soy

Not a big concern... just about as serious as egg.

Dust Mites

not a concern in Colorado since its so dry here, but as we travel this summer to more moist places to keep Claratin or Zyrtec close.

Cashews
Not a big concern either. We just need to make sure we have meds near.
Grass
another one that the Doc said we might need to be aware of... just have him medicated before he goes outside during this next season.

Cottonwood
Another allergy that he said we just need to monitor while outside.

Wheat
One that we really don't need to worry about. Its not severe at all, but it did come up. So we will be monitoring it.
A year ago, when I was getting concerned about Jackson's random vomiting, we found out that he was allergic to egg and peanut {along with his reflux}. But now I have
5 more allergies
to worry about. The Allergist Doc said that he would like to see us back in about 6 months to see how he is doing and if he is reacting to any of the medications. He also said that he has a sinus infection and now is on antibiotics for it. He is also concerned about him developing asthma... Really? What more could my poor baby be suffering from?
My poor medicated boy!

17 comments:

Leanna said...

Sorry my Heidi...sorry big J...that's no fun! Hopefully he'll grow out of some of the allergies.

Brendon said...

Bobby told me that something around 85% of kids grow out of their allergies, so chances are good. :)

Jeni said...

That's rough! I know what you're going through too. Ethan's finally grown out of the egg allergy but he still has peanut and shell fish and cats and dogs and hazelnuts and sesame seeds. Kind of random ones but I'm sure I need to get him tested again. Asthma isn't as bad as it seems at first. Ethan has it and it has almost gotten a little easier to deal with as he's gotten older. At least you found these out now instead of when he's older. We didn't know for sure until he was 3!

Elizabeth & Roberto said...

That must be so hard for you as a mom. Oliver has a wheat allergy too. We haven't had him tested but when he has wheat he gets a rash on his face and really bad gas (that keeps him up all night) and constipation. If you are interested in any gluten free tips let me know I've become an expert...

Emily said...

I am sorry to hear that, it would be hard to have so many to keep track of!

Elise said...

Booooooooo to that!!!! What a bummer. Hope it gets better as he gets older!

Jackson 3 said...

Oh poor baby!...That really can't be easy for you having to constantly worry about him. Your a great Mother though, you'll do just fine & shouldn't stress too much over it! And even if he doesn't grow out of them, it's not the worst thing in the world. He is a HAPPY & SMART boy! & that's most important.
love ya girl

everyday katie said...

Allergies are rotten. Most of us have developed some kind of outdoor allergy since we've been in Texas. Even a quarter of a pill of children's Zyrtec knocks Parker out for hours. It's awful.

And we are not foreign to wheat allergies either. My husbands whole family is gluten intolerant and Spencer just got tested for it...we'll hear results later this week. I'm dreading the results. I can't imagine cooking gluten free.

Your poor little boy has quite the list. That's going to be difficult when he leaves home...kindergarten and things...and you can't monitor everything he eats. Yikes. Good luck.

Julia Holmes said...

Poor Jackson!! I hope he grows out of the allergies.

jeanine said...

Oh no! That's so hard.

Emily said...

So sorry to hear that! Poor guy!

Erin said...

Okay, you know what they are and you can so treat them and avoid them. He will be able to go to school, you are just going to have to be a crazy on top of everything momma. Volunteer, be at every party and field trip, and always make his lunch. Allergies are annoying but totally manageable. We are start Autumn on allergy immunotherapy this week. At least medicine has cuaght up to these conditions. Just get a good doctor!
You will be surprised by his ability to protect himself. Kids are amazing that way!!

Sundbergs said...

So sorry what a tress for oyu. If this helos I have a lot of allergies and asthma when I was younger. THe older I got the better. I hope that it is the same for your little one.

Violet said...

I'm sorry Heidi. That is no fun. Erin Chase just went through all of that with her daughter. Check out her blog if you haven't seen it yet.

Dejah said...

Aw, poor boy! Good thing he has such wonderful parents to watch out for him!

Jenn said...

Poor Boy! I hope he grows out of them. I am scared my boy will have all kinds of allergies and asthma,,, Chris was really, really bad when he was younger and didn't really grow out of his asthma until right before his mission. His allergies are so horrible and just on occasion does his asthma kick in now!! Hang in there.

Whitney said...

Jackson and Emmy have lots in common! Emmy has a whole list of things that she's allergic to - eggs, wheat (but she's okay with it), milk (but she outgrew it), peanuts, walnuts, and a few others. At least she outgrew the milk thing because that was way too hard! I feel for you!