6.08.2008

Camping=FUN!

Yes... thats right, I said camping is FUN!
We were able to get up into the mountains just in time for some good weather, and leave just before it started to rain again. Matt reserved a spot in Estes Park, just outside Rocky Mountain National Park. We went with the Ellis family, and they shared with us their 2 room tent, and all their camping skills. Such GREAT friends.
When we got there, the Ellis' already had the tent up, and were unloading their car. So we pulled up, unloaded, and set up our sleeping arraignment, and took off for Lilly Lake. Cory wanted to take their 4 year old Connor fishing. It was a nice little lake, and perfect for families with small children.
Then we went back and got the fire started {about 20 times}, and put our foil dinners in the fire.
SO YUMMY!!!
I love foil dinners....
A quick plug about foil dinners. My sister Randi and I used to make them and cook them on my parents gas stove at home, like I said... SO YUMMY!
Then Heather introduced me to banana boats {camping dessert}. You cut open a banana with just one peel peeled, cut out a little section of the banana, and fill it with chocolate and marshmellows, then pull the peel back over. Wrap it up in foil and throw it in the fire, just long enough for the chocolate and marshmellows to melt. SO YUMMY! Then of course the traditional smores. I tried to find some jiffy pop, but was not successful.
The following morning, Matt and Cory left to go fishing around 6:30 am, and we just sat in the tent and had the kids play in the tent till we {Heather & I} felt like getting out, and making breakfast. The boys came back, caught nothing {got skunked}, & enjoyed a nice breakfast of pancakes, eggs and bacon. Packed up camp and took off for the day in
Rocky Mountain National Park.
Our first stop was to Bear Lake. The parking up next to the lake was full so we had to take a shuttle. We walked/ hiked 0.5 miles to the lake, turned around and hiked to Nymph Lake 1.0 mile, took a few pictures, and hiked back a mile. By then we were hungry for some lunch. So we stopped at some picnic benches, ate lunch, then went on to Copeland Falls. Since all the snow is still melting, there is lots of rushing water, and is a little dangerous. So we really didnt get too close to the water. Now that we have a 12 month pass to Rocky Mountain National Park we will be visiting often, well as often as our lives allow.
It is one Beautiful state we live in!
COLORADO!


11 comments:

Emily said...

What a fun weekend! I love camping and smores! I have had those banana boats once and from what I remember it was good. I love foil dinners with the potatoes and being in the mountains is such fun! I am so happy you got to go! Colorado does look beautiful!

Ashley said...

How fun! We'll go camping once Kennedy can sleep through the night, and I'm actually really excited.Such cute pics! Jackson is getting so big.

Sundbergs said...

That does sound like fun maybe I need to go camping with you. Those bannana bots do sound good. Looks like a beautiful area.

Heather E. said...

Nice HO!!! We had a blast too. Will you send me the pics you took....all except the one where I look huge.....in my barrel pants with the baggin' sweatshirt! Thanks for the fun times!

Jenn said...

So Fun Heidi! I just had a foil dinner on FRI night when I had to attend a scout camp out with Chris for the primary.. it was so yummy. My sis in law Katie just showed us those banana boats too- even much more yummier. I LOVE camping.

Elise said...

Wow! Gorgeous! It looks so peaceful. . . ahhhhh.

Traci Elizabeth said...

cutest pictures ever of Jackson! Glad you had fun!

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

We are so proud of you for getting Matt to go camping! We didn't know he had it in him! j/k!! It looks like you guys had a fun time!!

julie said...

great pics heidi! that looks like so much fun! we used to go to yosemite every year & do some work for the park, because we did cleanup & stuff the ranger needed help with we always had our own camp site totally private {they squeeze you in so tight there so it was the best} i miss it looking at all these pics!

Sheryl said...

Hey cutest family! See Matt, we initiated you into this great adventure of camping and nature!! So glad to see you having a great time with the Ellis'. Soooo great!

Emily said...

I love camping as well. We already have some trips planned this year. Camping is so much work when your the parent but so worth it.