8.12.2007

A Day in Colorado Springs!

Our day started off around 7:00 am... We drove for about 2 hours down south to The Springs. It was a Shirley & Ellis Adventure! Once we got into the Springs we started a drive that would take us to an elevation of 14,110 feet!

Our first stop was at mile marker 6. This was an activity that the Ellis' recently started, its called "Letterboxing." This is done all over the world. What you do is make a stamp for yourself and then once you find a box it should have a stamp in it to stamp your own note pad, and then you stamp the note pad that is in the box!




Once we continued our journey... we were driving up to the very top! PIKES PEAK!!! It was an incredible drive. I'm so glad I wasn't the one driving, I think I would have freaked out! We were also told that they have a doughnut that they make at the top of this Pikes Peak and that you have to try it. Nothin special... but it was ok. The view was unbelievable!











Once we were done there we made a stop to have lunch, and then continue on! We next went to the "Garden of the Gods." That was quite a sight to see! I guess the story behind it is, there was a man by the name ofCharles Elliot Perkins who owned this land and bought it at $22 an acre, decided that he wanted to sell it. But once he passed away his children were the ones that sold it and at his wish, there would never be a fee to enter the park! There are walk-ways that allow you to walk around and just enjoy the scenery! There were a few climbers climbing the rock, that was amazing! You can see how small a person is compared to the rocks! Like I said AMAZING!!!

5 comments:

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

It looks like you all had a lot of fun. Lane's sister, (who lives in Colorado Springs), says that Pike's Peak is the most beautiful thing. I'm glad you posted pics so that we could see it!

Heather E. said...

Hey Ho....great pics...will you send them my way! That was loads of fun. Thanks for going with us!

Jenn said...

it is so beautiful there! looks like you guys had LOADS of fun!

Emily said...

Heidi,

What a fun trip to go on, your such a cute family! Your making me want to check out Colorado! I have so many married friends who want to move there!

Erin said...

I love that spot, Pikes peak...my grandpa did the construction on that sign you are standing in front of. Kinda cool useless info for you.